Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Xela (again)

Okay, so maybe I'll try and summarize as best I can the time since I left the group.


I caught a bus back to Xela - first class- which means they only stop, well, everywhere. The bus stops, the guy jumps out and runs around yelling xelaxelaxela at everyone in sight - then a few vendors will jump on, hand out snacks, give speeches about the snacks from the front of the bus - then come back around and take them away from anyone who doesn't want to buy them. This happens about every 10 - 30 minutes the entire 5 hours. Soon I will experience a regular bus, and I can't even imagine what they must be like.


So I returned to Xela, and spent a few days staying back at the now familiar Casa Dona Mercedes and wandering the town exploring and checking out the different Spanish schools - of which there are many.


As it turned out, my timing couldn't have been better - a couple of days after I got back was the 68th anniversary of the local soccer team Xelaju, and so they gave the team a new bus, and had a HUGE event in the Parque (note I have spelled Parque wrong every time until now - thanks Spanish school) Central. It is hard to think of a comparison to this event, soccer here is a religion of it's own, and so this was like another Christmas for the locals.


The team drove around in their new bus, then had cake on a stage built for them while a (I believe) rather famous Guatemalan group sang. The mayor was there, and a bunch of other important looking people - I of course couldn't understand a word that was said, but it was still fun. After cake the real concert started, which was more of the first group, then a group of three women which are very famous here (the crowd went crazy for them, and the reaction was the same when a DJ played their hit song at a club here last Friday) so it was cool to be right in the middle of the crowd for the whole event.


Celebrations here also involve lots of fireworks - but unlike in Canada where we fire them off above a lake or the ocean, far from the crowd and high in the air - here they fire them from the middle of the crowd and only about 4 or 5 stories up - I actually got hit in the forehead with a piece of one - of course I'm fine, and it was awesome.


Many other events have occurred - most having something to do with the lead up to easter - the weekend before last I followed the procession of Jesus with the cross right into the main Cathedral and made offerings along with the locals, it was a very special thing to be a part of.
The procession, by the way, is much like the one I spoke of witnessing in La Antigua, but obviously on a smaller scale - though the crowd was about equal.


There have been 4 or 5 concerts - I haven't actually been counting so I'm not sure. And processions every week, I saw two or three of them - but at the moment I am busy doing other things like. . .


Learning Spanish. For some reason I had the idea that I would just go to school, learn new words (they of course would be easy since they were so similar to French) and then go off and speak Spanish.


I was wrong.


The idea of conjugation never occurred to me. Why? Probably because I can't stand grammar. Fortunately for me the conjugation is very similar to French, and so I picked it up very quickly - the problem with conjugation, it that you then have to learn all the new verbs to conjugate (I only learned present and a bit of future) and there are many verbs. In fact, the more I learn of Spanish the more sympathy I have for anyone trying to learn English - everything in our language is an exception, the poor souls! - and so the whole thing has been an excellent exercise in humility.


I am attending Celas Maya Spanish school, and staying with a very nice host family - so with 5 hours at school per day + the total immersion thing, I've come along fairly quickly and I think that when this week is finished and I hit the open road (so to speak) I will be able to get by. I find that I do quite well "in context" but general conversations are much more difficult.


So there it is in very short form. I would like to say a quick WAY TO GO CANADA from afar. I was able to catch some Olympic reruns (unfortunately on a slightly biased NBC) and also watched the Gold medal hockey game live with a few other Canucks - and I have to say, it was pretty easy to be extremely proud of our country throughout the entire time, and I'm sure the Special Olympics will be the same.


ps- watching hockey here is pretty funny, the locals think we're all completely insane.

pss - why no pictures? Too many pictures.

3 comments:

  1. Traveling is generally a great exercise in developing humility, yes? And yes, anywhere you go you can be proud to be Canadian ... isn't it sweet? And with the Paralympics about to start, we'll be sending you more proud moments, I'm sure.
    The bus ride sounds like a hoot, and I'm sure school is time well spent ... hopefully we'll find a way to keep you in practice when you get home. There is a Spanish conversational group that meets weekly downtown here, so that's a start.
    Keep enjoying every moment, and thanks again for keeping us in the loop with the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to your mom's "keep enjoying every moment"....
    and thanks so much for the colour commentary -- it's always a pleasure reading your version of how the world is unfolding. We have also been enjoying the pictures you have posted & look forward to seeing more. (But I think the best pictures, though, are what's left in your memory when your mind and heart have processed what you see. Keep on keepin' on!

    Kath & Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Life To-Do List: Get hit in forehead by firecracker bit. Check."

    I'm sure you'll pick up more spanish than you even notice - by the time you get home you'll look at things and just know the words for them. It all sinks in (possibly while you're sleeping?). As for conjugating - you could always do what I did, and just have everything happen in the present tense, all the time. It's very Zen.

    ReplyDelete