Friday, March 5, 2010

Coffee




welcome to La Azotea, which is a coffee plantation (as you may have guessed) just outside of La Antigua.

As a former coffee lover ( I actually still like it, but my stomach doesn't - and my stomach's the boss) I found it quite interesting to see the process that coffee goes through before it gets into a cup in a living room, or a Starbucks etc. The pictures are unfortunately in a mixed up order (blogspot has a backwards order of doing things, which I have yet to remember) but the first is of the coffee beans st out in a huge courtyard to dry, the second is a nursery of new coffee plants, and the third is the mature plants.


It is a long, labor intensive process, and I can't help but be completely amazed that someone figured it out. I mean, who looks at a berry and says to themselves "hey, I bet if I pick that, pull the seed out of it, dry that seed out, stick it in an oven for half an hour, grind it up, and run boiling water through it - I could make some money." But obviously, that's what happened, maybe not all at once, but the result was the same - coffee, espresso, Café Latte, Tim Hortons and Starbucks - a multi Billion dollar worldwide industry - how many things in history have been thought up, decided upon, worked out, ended and begun - all over a cup of coffee.


So, whatever nut thought up the process - it turned out pretty well.

4 comments:

  1. Hahahahahahaha
    How true this is! I mean, we practically worship the stuff! And I'm still drinking the coffee that I get here from "Bean Around the World" and it's directly from Antigua, and fair trade, and absolutely the best coffee I've ever had. They claim that it's on some list of the world's 10 best coffees! Now anything else is second best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee-Coffee - how interesting and isn't it amazing how much does revolve around coffee!
    Are you going to keep in touch with all your new friends?
    Hope this comment will work - I may have to resort to email.
    Thanks again for sharing 0 however do you remember it all?
    Love and Hugs - Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! I actually laughed out loud at that thought. And you know, someone came up with a process for coffee involving cats? If you don't know what I'm talking about - well, maybe I'll tell you that one in person. It's cool to see all three stages of the plant. I wonder how high they grow when they are mature? Could you tell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mature plants were around 6 - maybe 7 feet tall. And unfortunately I do know the coffee-cats process.

    ReplyDelete