Friday, March 19, 2010

Santa Maria - Santiguito



While we were on top of Santa Maria, Santiguito erupted several times. Having now seen the two Volcanoes from the other side on the ground, I now know that Santiaguito is actually kind of on the side of Santa Maria - when you're on top, you look straight down into Santiaguito, which is one of Guatemalas most active Volcanoes.


The sound of a Volcano erupting, when you're that close, is somewhat like a violent earthquake - it's a low rumble, which if I had to describe it (which I guess I do) sounds like raw power. Possible comaparable to the roar of Niagra Falls.


Several times we heard it erupting but were unable to see because of the clouds, and with the sound, I kept waiting for the earth to start shaking - it sounds violently powerful, and when we finally got to see it in the morning, still dazed from lack of sleep and an incredible sunrise, it was an amazing experience.

I gotta say, I'm glad to have finally finished writing about Santa Maria - I can't think of any more strong, descriptive words - and really, words arent enough.

2 comments:

  1. These photos are excellent ... I've never seen anything like them, and I can just imagine the sounds and the feeling of being there. Did the ground shake at all? So close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No ground shaking - though that did happen here in Pana the other day for a couple minutes.

    ReplyDelete